Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Gems Camp: A Junior Perspective

Junior Eileen Ser shares her Gems Camp experience both as a camper and Camp Leader:

I still have the letter that Gemstone sent me on May 21, 2011, welcoming me to the program and inviting me to Gems Camp. I did not know much about Gemstone– I chose it based on its research focus, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a colorful brochure advertising a Las Vegas themed Gems Camp. Intrigued, I convinced my parents to let me go (moving in early was a great selling point).
Attending Gems Camp was a fantastic experience – it quickly became clear that Gemstone focused on areas outside of pure academics. All of the Camp Leaders were incredibly friendly, fun, and welcoming. I left completely exhausted, but came home with so many friends. Gems Camp was definitely the first step to making a big school smaller.
I was fortunate to be selected as a Camp Leader the following year. As a sophomore, I loved getting to know the freshman. The theme that year was Survivor, and the competition was a great element. I looked forward to the next year as soon as it was over, and sure enough, when Gems Camp 2013 came around, it was just as fun. Plus, the theme of Turning Back Time made it even more meaningful.
I can easily say that Gems Camp is my favorite Gemstone experience. The lighthearted atmosphere is a great way to kick off the school year. I still keep in touch with many of the people I met at camp as a freshman and my campers from the past two summers. My fellow Camp Leaders are some of the funniest people I have ever met, and spending nearly a week with them is quite the adventure – we spend a lot of the time perfecting our dance and eating a lot of cheeseballs. 

So, to you, Gemstone student, I highly encourage you to apply to be a Camp Leader – I’m in denial this summer is the last chance I have to be a Camp Leaders because I have truly had an unforgettable experience!

-Eileen Ser: Team PANCREAS : Class of 2015


If you wish to apply to become a Gems Camp CL please follow this link here and fill out the application.  
The application closes midnight March 25th!

No comments:

Post a Comment